Our Projects > Featherston house

Featherston House after renovation

Show Full Size

Featherston House


This house was built on Second Street in 1898 for the family of W.H. Featherston when they moved to Katy from Illinois. Featherston and his family lived in the house with their and took in boarders. Featherston later became the first preacher for the Baptist Church. This was one of only two houses in Katy that were not damaged when the 1900 Galveston storm blew through town. It was used briefly for school classes and church services for those displaced by the storm. In 1910, the Featherston family moved to another home and this house was sold to be attached to the Cobb Hotel, which was built next door. Many of Katy’s early settlers stayed in this house as part of the hotel when they first came to town. In the 1980’s First Baptist Church of Katy bought the hotel for the land adjacent to their church building. The hotel, including this house was used for some church functions for a few years. In 1986, the hotel was demolished but this house was saved and donated to the Katy Heritage Society. The society did extensive renovation and repair work on the house. After remaining in the same location for almost 100 years, the society had to move the house in 1992. This move required the second floor to be completely removed, moved separately and the house put back together in its new location on East Avenue. The society continued restoration work at this location. In 2003, the house was moved to Katy Heritage Park and restored once again. That restoration resulted in the home that is open for tour today, furnished as if a family were living in it circa 1920’s, with period furniture, wall coverings and accessories.
© 2017 Katy Heritage