Our Projects > Wright House

Show Full Size

Show Full Size

Wright House

This Queen Ann style bungalow with Victorian accents was built in 1898 for Edward Everhart. That same year John Henry Wright and his brother Wilbur drove a team and wagon to Katy from Carroll County, Missouri. The Wrights were seeking a healthy climate for the ailing Wilbur. Everhart was ready to leave Katy and agreed to exchange this house for the Wright home in Missouri. In 1899 John and Wilbur’s parents, David and Sarah Wright came to Katy and the family moved into this home. In 1911, John Henry and Pauline Schlipf were married in this house. They made this their home and raised their family here. John became the first pharmacist in Katy and with Dr. J. M. Stewart opened the first drug store in 1904.

The house has been extensively renovated several times. Before 1920, the 12’ ceilings were lowered to 9’ and a second floor was created out of the enlarged attic space. Stairs to the second floor were added, doors were moved or removed and dormers were added to the roofline. Later, the side porch was enclosed to create a sleeping porch and still later, the back porch was enclosed for more living space.

In 1991 Roberta Wright Rylander, daughter of John and Pauline donated the house to the Katy Heritage Society. The house was extensively restored and used by the society near its original location on East Avenue for about ten years. In 2003, it was moved to Katy Heritage Park. Today the house is used as the Wright Museum, a repository for collections relating to local history, changing gallery exhibits and for the Katy Heritage Society offices. In 2006, a fence similar to the home’s original fence was donated by the City of Katy Attorney, Joe Hegar and installed in front of the house.
© 2017 Katy Heritage